According to WTVM, a fire broke out at a Columbus, Georgia, residence on Thursday. All six adults and two children made it out safely but Walter Serpit, who walks with a cane, risked his life by going back into a burning house for a few cans of beer.
It wasn’t even good beer: it was Bud Light. And with a fire raging around the cans, they were most likely warm. That’s like risking your life for toilet water.
As you’d expect, Serpit has a bit of a drinking problem, but to his credit, at least he knows it. Serpit told WTVM News, “I told them to get the kids out and everything, and me myself, being an alcoholic, I was trying to get my beer out.” The first step is admitting you have a problem.
Serpit managed to make it out of the burning house but only barely. Hopefully, after this incident, he’ll realize the value of life and decide to turn things around — by starting to drink better beer.
[Source: Man enters burning house to rescue beer]