When it comes to understanding chemical compositions, we can’t all be Walter White. Unfortunately, a 41-year-old German man was probably wishing he’d paid a little more attention in high school chemistry class after a combination of fumes and electricity caused a massive explosion in his new home, leaving his house looking like a scene from Breaking Bad.
The man was settling into his new place in Diepholtz, Germany, and had only an air mattress to sleep on as he hadn’t gotten any furniture yet.
“But the mattress was leaky, so he used an industrial strength puncture repair spray to try and fix it,” the Local reports. “This reacted with the inbuilt electric pump, causing a violent explosion which threw him across the room, ripped doors off their hinges and smashed windows.” Shockingly, the man sustained only minor cuts, a hurt wrist, and a severely damaged sense of manly pride.
Prosecutors are deciding whether to take action against the man. Apparently living with the fact that he blew up his own house while inflating an air mattress isn’t enough punishment. Oh, those Germans and their schadenfreude!
But hey, at least he found an a explosive way to leave his mark on his new neighborhood. And look at it this way: he can brag to his neighbors for years to come about his massive housewarming blowout.