If you're anything like the average Facebook addict, you're probably checking your wall a couple hundred times to see if anyone commented on the kitten video you posted. As stupid as that sounds, it isn't as cracked as what people did on the Internet nearly two decades ago. Here are five of the dumbest Internet addictions we had during the '90s:
1.Watched videos on RealPlayer.
There are some of us who are still waiting for RealPlayer to buffer so we can finally watch that Soundgarden video. (image via flickr.com)
2. Downloaded skins for Winamp.
"Dude, check out these cool "Record of Lodoss War" Winamp skins I just downloaded! Hey, where are you going?" — Me in 1996. (image via jaredgood1.20m.com)
3. We used ICQ.
Before Twitter and Facebook there was ICQ with it's signature "uh-oh" sound effect! For many, it was the first time you could chat with your friends in real time and like Facebook or Twitter, you ended up hating it shortly afterwards. (image via wikipedia)
4. Participated in 'Flame Wars' with total strangers.
If you visited a chatroom or a forum in the 90's, chances are you gave your caps lock a workout engaging in a 'Flame War'. These days instead of 'Flaming' we just troll each other with dumb memes. (image via cracked.com)
5. Created a GeoCities websites.
It's a fact that 90 percent of all GeoCities websites were dedicated to the Area 51 conspiracy theory. The other 10 percent were dedicated to taking down Bill Gates. (image via archive.org)