Hurricane Irene doesn't sound like a dangerous natural disaster. It sounds like a kindly old lady. But, of course, this rare storm that is currently barrelling toward the U.S. eastern seasboard is very dangerous.
But the dainty residents of America's largest city don't know whether to panic or roll their eyes. While veterans of hurricanes in Florida and the Gulf Coast respect Mother Nature, New Yorkers are pretty much ignorant about her fury.
Here's what you expect when you live in New York City: a naked hobo playing the trumpet with his butt in the subway. Here's what you don't expect: earthquakes and major hurricanes.
It is important for the National Weather Service to give hurricanes names that instill fear. Hurricanes shouldn't be named after the regulars at the local bingo hall. Hurricanes need to sound like they will mess you up (because they will). They need names that are menacing and sound deadly. Names that say "GET OUT." Hurricanes deserve fearsome monikers that will immediately convince an apathetic populace to heed official warnings and instructions.
Here are 25 hurricane names that would make even an aloof New York listen up and GTFO:
1.Hurricane NEPTUNE'S NUT PUNCH
2. Hurricane INSANITY
3. Hurricane OF DOOM
4. Hurricane ARMAGEDDON
5. Hurricane ENHANCED INTERROGATION
6. Hurricane AAAHHHH!!!
7. Hurricane AL GORE
8. Hurricane WRATH OF LITTLE NEMO
9. Hurricane DARTH WATERWORLD
10. Hurricane CTHULHU
11. Hurricane DEATHFIST
12. Hurricane AQUAMAN SAYS "NO MERCY"
13. Hurricane MOMMY? MOMMY?
14. Hurricane PSYCHO EX-GIRLFRIEND
15. Hurricane WORSE THAN HITLER
16. Hurricane KNOCK, KNOCK. WHO'S THERE? ANNIHILATION
17. Hurricane WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
18. Hurricane RUN, YOU FOOLS
19. Hurricane CUJO
20. Hurricane WET, WILD APOCALYPSE
21.Hurricane THE DEADLY MERMAID
22. Hurricane A TALL DRINK OF DEAD
23. Hurricane ANDERSON COOPER CANNOT SAVE YOU
24. Hurricane REVENGE OF THE FISH STICKS
25. Hurricane DON'T BE STUPID, STUPID
For information about hurricane preparedness, visit this site.