A Westchester man is suing BumbleBee tuna after tests results came back showing that he had heavy metal poisoning from the mercury found in canned tuna.
The Health Department called 48-year-old Lee Porrazzo to tell him he needed to stop eating the protein rich fish and fast because the level of mercury in his bloodstream was twice the normal amount.
While you are reading this and potentially lowering the tuna melt on swirled rye away from your mouth, it's important to note that Porrazzo had been eating 10 cans of tuna per week for almost 2 years.
Porrazzo is not only suing the tuna manufacturers for negligence but also for putting it on sale for $1 a can which apparently made it easy for him to buy in bulk and consume ridiculous amounts of.
For the record, experts agree that about 5oz. per week is a safe amount to eat.