7 Costa Concordia Cruise Ship Conspiracies
The capsizing of the Costa Concordia cruise ship has shocked people all over the world, especially those who did not learn their lesson from Leonard DiCaprio dying on the Titanic. In other words, we all should have seen this coming… because despite what “reputable” news outlets would have you think, there is apparently more afoot here than just an allegedly "cowardly" captain and ineffective crew.
Here are some of the conspiracy theories surrounding the unfortunate sinking of the cruise ship the Costa Concordia.
1. Friday the 13th: The ship sank on Friday the 13th; I don’t need the internet to figure out that this coincidence is pretty fishy.
2. The sinking of the European Union: Just in case you get all your news from Facebook, here's a newsflash: the EU is drowning in debt. Meanwhile, the Costa Concordia, whose 13 decks are named after the 13 EU nations, is literally drowning. Is this an unfortunate coincidence or divine omen?
3. Disaster of Titanic Proportions: The Costa Concordia sank 99 years and nine months after the Titanic. If you flip those numbers around, you get the number 666. Somewhere, anti-Christ baby Blue Ivy Carter is clapping her hands in delight.
4. The Masons: According to the International Business Times, “The ship ran aground off the Tuscan island of Giglio, the Italian name for the lily flower. Highly-symbolic since the medieval age, the lily flower is one of the most recurrent symbols of masonry, along with the red rose. Moreover, the name of the ship, Concordia or harmony, was also the name of Florence's first masonic lodge. Needless to say, the lily flower is the symbol of Florence.” Cue scary music.
5. Insurance job? Some bloggers allege that the disaster and pinning everything on the captain is just an elaborate insurance scam. That kind of rumor ignores the fact that Carnival shares are sinking faster than their boat.
6. Iran? Rumors on internet forums have surfaced claiming that the sinking was caused by an Iranian torpedo. But this seems as likely as Kate Winslet making room on that floating board to save Leonardo DiCaprio. Seriously, just scoot over!
7. A lying pack of lies: Stories of false reports and other ignoble actions by Captain Francesco Schettino reveal that whatever happened, it wasn’t humanity’s finest hour. Is Francesco, who has denied responsibility for the disaster, innocent, a puppet of the Illuminati or a plain old coward? Because of Occam’s Razor, I’m leaning toward whimpiness.
Image via Wikipedia.
Lyz Lenz was on the grassy knoll. You can follow her on Twitter.
[ photo galleries ]
The opinions expressed in this blog are the personal opinions of our bloggers and in no way reflect the opinions of truTV, Turner Broadcasting System, Inc., Time Warner, Inc. and/or any of their respective employees, officers, subsidiaries or affiliates.
We may provide links to outside blogs or websites from this site, truTV is not affiliated with these websites and makes no representations, endorsements or warranties with regard to the content found on those sites.